Private Music Lessons
Holy Child Academy is alive with the sound of music, and we hope that your child will participate in the music program. Research has shown that involvement in the arts is associated with gains in math, reading, cognitive ability, critical thinking, and verbal skills. The arts build confidence and can improve concentration, motivation, and teamwork.
As a member of the musical ensembles at HCA, your child will have many opportunities to perform throughout the school year both in and outside of the Academy.
Holy Child students are eligible to perform in the following grade-appropriate musical activities.
- Private Lessons
- Piano Lessons: Grades K – 8
- Guitar/Bass Guitar/Ukelele Lessons: Grades 1 – 8
- String Lessons: K-8 (violin, viola, cello)
- Band Instruments: (flute, clarinet, alto, tenor, baritone saxophone, trumpet, french horn, flugel horn, oboe, trombone, tuba and percussion): Grades 3 - 8
Successful, satisfying music study is dependent upon consistent, daily practice. Parents are asked to ensure the following:
- an instrument kept in tune and in good repair;
- a practice setting free from distraction (i.e., siblings and TV);
- parental supervision of all practice periods for beginners;
- encouragement, support, and appreciation for your child's efforts; and
- consistent student attendance at lessons with materials.
Instrumental Student Concert Attire is mandatory for all instrumental groups:
- Boys: Black bow tie; long- sleeved, white oxford shirt; black pants; black belt; black socks; a black shoes
- Girls: Black bow tie; long-sleeved, white oxford shirt; black skirt (can use choir skirt); beige stockings; black shoes
- Black bow ties may be purchased through the school for $8.00 and will be added into your FACTS account.
Please contact Patricia Brown, Music Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms. Patricia Brown is a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Performing Arts and is a professional violinist, pianist, organist, an accomplished vocal director, as well as a theatre and orchestra director, composer and arranger. Her passion for music is contagious, and her creativity and enthusiasm are sure to bring much joy to the music department and especially to your child.
Private Lesson Instructors
Mrs. Maria Ceferatti, Strings Instructor - Maria Ceferatti holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education from Catholic University and a Master’s Degree in Creative Writing from Rosemont College. She has been the strings instructor at Holy Child Academy since 2008 and teaches beginner piano as well.
Maria is the music director for Acting Without Boundaries, a theater group for young adults with physical disabilities, and she teaches creative writing classes to adults at Main Line School Night. Email: email@example.com.
Dr. Leo Dugan, Piano/Guitar/Ukulele/Bass Instructor
Dr. Leo Dugan is the piano, guitar, ukulele, and bass instructor as well as the director of the rock band at HCA, where he has been teaching since 2006.
He is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, where he received both a B.A. in Music in 2002 and a Ph.D. in Composition in 2007. An accomplished composer, Dugan’s works have been commissioned by the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Kansas City Symphony, the New Albany Symphony, the Juilliard School, the Government of Flanders, Jesse Colin Young of The Youngbloods, and many others. He also serves on the faculty of Haverford College, where he teaches Music Theory and directs the Jazz Ensembles, and the Malvern School of Music, where he teaches piano, saxophone, guitar, composition, and jazz improvisation. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The fee for private music lessons is $1,175 for the year and will be added into your FACTS account.