Holy Child Academy was founded in 1927 and is the only independent, co-educational, Catholic elementary school in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, serving students from Nursery through eighth grade. HCA faculty use innovative pedagogy and contemporary curriculum along with proven methods to create enriched learning opportunities for students. With small instructional groups and an 8:1 student to teacher ratio, HCA students receive the individual attention that leads to superior growth, self-assurance, and achievement.
Holy Child Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse mix of talented and passionate professionals. We welcome educators who will advance our mission of educating boys and girls of all faiths, races, and ethnicities in an environment of trust, respect, and inclusion, preparing students to thrive in an increasingly interconnected world. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Middle School Math Teacher
The successful candidate will be an educator who is highly skilled and experienced in a broad range of middle school math instruction, including advanced courses at the secondary level. Reporting to the director of the middle school, this full-time teacher will be committed to a holistic approach to education. He or she will place a high value on the distinctive opportunities offered in independent schools, and will have a desire to advance the mission and philosophy of Holy Child Academy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement a program of engaging and challenging classroom activities for mathematics, at the fifth through eighth grade levels, as well as some high school level courses in geometry and advanced algebra. Courses will include both grade level and advanced instruction.
- Collaborate with language arts faculty to teach the Test Innovators program for seventh and eighth grade students, preparing them for success on standardized high school entrance exams.
- Maintain active partnerships with parents with open and effective communication.
- Use varied assessment strategies to promote mastery.
- Employ effective classroom management techniques to create a challenging, and exciting learning environment; help students develop positive behaviors and self-control to assist them in learning.
- Prepare students for transition into selective high schools.
- Establish high standards and expectations for academic excellence; provide a safe and secure environment that encourages students’ self-confidence and achievement.
- Actively participate in division and faculty meetings, in-service days, and committee meetings.
- Maintain an active commitment to professional growth and development.
- Support HCA’s advancement and growth by assisting at Open Houses and other promotional events.
- BA or BS in mathematics, education, or related field
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience
- Desire to advance the mission and goals of Holy Child education and participate fully in the life of the school community
- Demonstrated success in effective classroom management, student engagement, and high quality instruction
- Proficiency with differentiated instruction
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and superior public-speaking and presentation skills
- Proficiency with educational technology
- Outstanding organizational skills
- High energy and creativity
- Authentic passion for educating young people
- Experience in a Catholic, independent school environment
- Experience teaching grades five through eight
- Experience with math programs that emphasize conceptual understanding, procedural fluency, and 21st-century skills, e.g., Go Math! or Singapore Math
- Master’s degree in mathematics, education or related field
- Teaching certification
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.